Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Okay...She Was Home

So, I decided I needed to get out and see the world again today. After meetings and such this morning, I figured another walk at Lake Erie Metropark would be a good use of my not-so spare time.

I bumped into a co-worker and off we went looking for birds and such. I wanted to show her the hummingbird nest. At first glance, no one was home. Suddenly, she was there and in the nest (the bird, not my co-worker!). While I don't think I was being pessimistic the other day suggesting she may be dead, I was, nevertheless, happy to see her. It appears my timing was indeed rotten. Now I might be able to get a few extra pics of her feeding young.

Which brings me to my next point....

I first recorded her on August 5th. According to some internet accounts, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds incubate 2 eggs for about 16 days. Assuming the sites are accurate, she should be feeding young very soon. I don't know how far along she was when I found her, but she literally could be feeding them right now! I will check her again tomorrow.

On the subject of pics, I managed a few photos of an Osprey. I, unfortunately, did not have my camera ready. It flew right over us, but the camera settings where all wrong. Fortunately, it returned and I was able to get some more photos before it moved off into the distance. Not my best Osprey shot, but I will take it!
On the way back to my car, my co-worker caught a glimpse of a small nuthatch-like bird hopping around a tree branch. It turned out to be a Black-and-White Warbler. Hopefully a sign of good things to come!

No comments: