Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Good Book

A few years ago, I had just moved into my condo. I was getting settled in and dealing with all the stuff that goes with a re-location. After I got all that squared away and life was "balanced" again (whatever that means), I found I was still missing something. I have always tried to be a believer in internal happiness. I want to be happy because I am happy, not because I think something outside of me should make me happy. You would think it would be simple, right? Just be happy, dammit.

But I wasn't.

I would spend time lurking on the internet. I found myself using various search engines and looking up certain words in certain combinations that might make some people shudder. But to me, at the time, those words made sense. One evening, after a few hours of trolling for happiness, I stumbled onto a webpage that changed my life ever.

I found The Good Book.

It was beautiful. I, for the first time, read some of it. So much of it resonated with me. I had to get a copy. So, I ordered it online and it was delivered to my doorstep in a few days. I couldn't put it down. The words were incredible and heartfelt while the imagery I simply will never forget.

This book, this tome of the ages, has become the foundation for a part of me. In times of joy and happiness, I can read its pages and reflect on the wisdom of its contributers. In times of sadness or despair, I can read it and find inspiration in its words and find the strength to get through another day with my thoughts to tomorrow.

With this new view of life, never again will I be deceived. Never. All the answers, for this aspect of my life, are in this book. The Good Book. It is, and always will be, for me, a true guiding light.

Oh, wait a minute. Not THAT Good Book. Never read it. Never will.

THIS Good Book!

The MacMillan Index of Antique Coffee Mills! Joesph MacMillan, I am said to say, passed on in 2007. I wish I had met him. This 1,300 page book was his life's work. Weighing in at over 10 pounds, it is considered the reference book for coffee mill collectors. For over 35 years, he traveled, photographed, investigated, copied, studied and ...well, you get the point...everything there is to know about North American coffee mill manufacturing (and a bit of Europe, too). Histories of the companies and the people behind them? Its here. How can you tell a Parker No. 1170 mill vs. the Parker No. 1180 mill? He can show you.

Never again will I be deceived by less-than-honest people selling mills (not to be confused with mill collectors selling mills; two different things!). When someone claims their piece is all original, I will know better!

"Yes, sir, it all original. Right down to the handle"

"
NO! It is not all original! I have The Good Book! I have seen the light! The Crown No. 3 Mill from Landers, Frary & Clark was only manufactured in the 1890's. This example clearly has a Phillips head on the handle. We all know the Phillips head was not invented until the 1930's. This can't be all original! You are a liar! Be gone! Swine! Fraud! I cast thee from this flea market! Be gone!"

Yes indeed, my life has changed. The book only cost $125 and is worth every penny. I look forward to more and more coffee mill collecting. I will keep you posted as my collection grows. I'm sure you're all waiting on the edge of your seat.

Oh, by the way, those words in certain combinations? Oh, really dirty words like "coffee", "mill", "antique", "auction", "sale, "collectible". Come on now. Get your mind out of the gutter!

No comments: