Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pseudo-Deja Vu...Twice

You know Deja vu, right? The eerie feeling that you are currently witnessing something that you feel you have already seen but you are not certain how you could have simply because the current situation is new?   In the past few days, I have had two huge episodes of what I might call "Pseudo-Deja Vu".  I have seen them before( and I know exactly when and how), but I still get a creeped-out feeling because I am watching it on TV.

In case you have been living in a bubble, Ken Burns has done it again.  You might recall a few years back, he did that Civil War documentary that was very well received by the public and historians alike.  Great stuff, right?  Well, his National Parks piece is every bit as cool.  While I have not seen all the episodes, I have seen snippets here and there. 

A few nights back, I was catching the final minutes of an episode.  They seemed to be showing some filler material before the next episode started.  The scene?  The Brooks Falls at Katmai National Park.   Perhaps you have seen the films of Grizzly Bears catching the salmon in mid-air as they jump up the falls during the spawning season?  If you have, it was shot here.  Back in 2004, I was there with my sister.  One bear in particular was very cool to watch. With what seemed a permanently "pouty" lip, she stood on the edge of the falls waiting for a salmon to jump.  If she missed the fish, she did a very noticeable "head throw" after the failed attempt.  You could almost hear her say "Ahhh, duck!" (except she wasn't saying "duck").  So guess which bear Burns highlights during his filming?

Tonight, a fellow was recounting his trip to many western parks with his family. He was highlighting an episode at Glacier National Park where he had driven to Logan Pass and took a walk with son to Hidden Lake.  To their surprise, a Mountain Goat wandered within a few feet of them.  The exact same thing happened to me when I was there in 2003.  Logan Pass.  Heading to Hidden Lake. Woah!  Gotta stop and give the right-of-way to the goat!

Pseudo- Deja vu. Twice. Cue the "Twilight Zone" theme, please....

No comments: