Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Little Blue Heron on July 28, 2009

So yesterday, Walt Pawloski reported to me a Little Blue Heron in Monroe County just outside of South Rockwood. I went to the site after work but missed it. What a drag, right? That could have been Monroe County bird #205.

I managed to swing by the same location this morning. No luck. Walt checked back later in the afternoon to say he had it last night! At least we know the bird is still in the area, right?

Sure enough, shortly after dinner tonight, Walt called me at home. He just saw the bird tucked away in a difficult-to-view little corner of the wetland. I mentioned that I was going to head back there immediately. In an awesome demonstration of birding goodwill, not only did he tell where it was, but said he would meet me on site and show it to me. Fortunately, by the time I arrived, the bird had moved into the open (thus the clear but distant photo on the left).

The heron body plan (long legs with a long dagger-like bill and slender neck) where obvious in the field. The dark body with the purplish head and neck, dark legs, and the two-toned bill make the call pretty easy. Little Blue Heron.

County bird #205. A hat-tip and beer Walt! Thanks!

No comments: