Thursday, May 27, 2010

#747

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning all sorts of matters, including, but not limited to, existence, knowledge, and values. So, one would think that a philosopher is one would studies these things, right?

After tonight, I think I might want be called a Philosopher, too. What did I study? The Three Philosophers (#747) and everything that is wrong with it....


Does it exist? Yes, it most certainly does. Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY whips this stuff up. A Belgian Quadrupel Ale, they actually add a cherry ale to a straight-up Belgian style ale.

Hmmmmm...knowledge. Here is what I know: on the pour, it is a pretty good looking beer. A deep ruby red with hints of brown, it poured well and generated a fair, light tan head in my snifter. The carbonation, from start to finish, cuts like a knife. The aroma was a bizarre mix of fruit (no doubt the cherry ale), a twitch of vinegar and few other subtleties (caramel, maybe?). The medium body had a very malty palate that never gave up. Right to the finish and beyond, it was there. A hint of the cherry returned somewhere in the final stages of the swallow. Finish? Dry and malty...

Values. I sort of struggled with this one. I mean...I wanted to like it, but I the carbonation wrecked it. Cherry what? All I got was the powerful tingling that goes with super abundant bubbles in your mouth and tons of malt. Any attempt for the cherry to shine was nixed for the most part.

According to Plato "Philosophy begins in wonder." I wonder what Ommegang was thinking when they put this one together. 2 out of 5. Cut the carbonation and I can give it a straight "3".

No comments: