Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hot Chicks

Yesterday started off a bit slow, right? Internet stuff (bills, etc.) followed by some running around. Shortly after lunch, I found my settled in so I can kick back a bit.

Out of nowhere, this little cutie shows up and just sits on my knee! How presumptuous on her part, huh? She was quite cute. A tiny frame with black pants on her slender legs. A blouse, that for the most part, was gray but with bits of brown and white, too. Reeeaaaallllly nice lookin'! The black hat (I not usually a hat guy) looked really good on this chick.

Before you knew it, she was gone. I even have a picture of her.

 


Yup, there I was, sitting in a treestand again. I found myself in the middle of feeding swarm of passerines and this Black-capped Chickadee shows up and sits on my lap! He/she was there for maybe 3 or seconds trying to figure out, I suspect, why the tree had eyes! Before long, off it went!


As the day was winding down, I found myself staring at another chick. At first, there was a rustle to my left, so I checked it out and confirmed, yet again, squirrels can be quite noisy numerous. (Kevin can tell you about that, too! He was surrounded in his stand!) Then came the rustle to my right. I could see the bushes and raspberry canes moving, but there was no way a deer could be hiding there. It must be a fox or coyote, right? I slowly grab my binoculars to peak and find myself looking at a doe.

At this point, everything is wrong. I'm right-eye dominant so hold the bow with my left hand and draw with my right. So, if you think that through, shots are on your left will be more natural. She showed up on my right side...at 45 yards (or so). Plus, instead of my hands in a firing position, I have the bins in my hand. All wrong.

So, slowly, I hung up the bins and got ready with the arrow in the event she comes my way (there were deer trails all over). All movement had stopped. She had me. Basically, it was a standoff. I had no shot (I couldn't even see here body) but she would not move. Stalemate for 10 minutes. So ended the night. As I climbed down out of the stand, she still didn't budge. It was not until I got within 20 yards or so that she finally flushed out. No shot was ever possible.

So, unlike last time, I saw a deer. But a shot? Nope.

Such is hunting...........

No comments: