Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Camera Ready

Now is the time of year when I have to seriously consider having my camera with me at all times.  Okay, not doing the dishes or showering, but when I'm going to work or simply tootin' around doing some birding. 

Today, as if to prove the point, I snagged a picture of this guy over the park.


For those of you who are not sure, this is  a Bald Eagle.  "There is no white head or white tail!" you might say. You are correct.  But trust me - a Bald Eagle it is. In fact, it was born in the spring of 2010. The brownish belly tells us so.  Lots of white on the underwings, too.

But, the bird is not what caught my eye. It was what it was doing. 

Movin' on.

With slow, lazy circles, this bird was making its way north.  The circles were right over the parking lot. Catchin' thermals, for sure.  I have seen a few birds in migration in southeast Michigan (okay, hundreds of thousands) and this bird struck me as being a migrant.  It could have been one of the dozens of eagles that spent the winter along the shores of western Lake Erie. Or not. Hell, I don't know.

"Where is it going?" you might ask.  I have no idea.  "North" would be my best guess.  Maybe the Upper Peninsula or Ontario?  Really. No clue.  Are more migrants coming?   Oh goodness, yes!  Not just raptors either.  Waders, shorebirds, songbirds, ducks.  In the coming months, hundreds of species will be moving through the region.  

I can't wait. 

Camera ready.

No comments: