Monday, May 25, 2009

Don't Ever Forget

As you read this, I will likely be standing at Maybury State Park looking for a Kentucky Warbler. I need it for my Wayne County list. After that, the plan is to travel to the campus of the University of Michigan - Dearborn for another attempt at a Summer Tanager. This will be yet another try to find that bird; it just never seems to be around when I am looking for it.

Eventually, I need to make my way home. My parents and a dear friend will be over for dinner. Flaming brandy burgers and grilled squash & zucchini will be the main course. Grilled chicken with a white BBQ sauce is an option for those not wanting the burger. Of course, grilling for people at my place would not be complete without some fine crafted micro beers. I look forward to seeing what the Magic Hat Brewing Company has done with "Wacko."

But, I have not lost track of what tomorrow is or why we observe it. Freedom isn't free. I can do the things I enjoy because of the sacrifices of others. They trained. They struggled. They triumphed. They bled. They died. These men and woman have done these things, currently do these things, and will continue to do these things. We can never forget that. Ever.

To remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the National Moment of Remembrance resolution was passed in December 2000. It asks, at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "to voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to Taps."

I know what I will be doing at 3pm. I hope you do the same.

No comments: