Thursday, November 11, 2010

#832

With autumn slowly but surely giving in to winter (okay, it was over 50 degrees and sunny today....but work with me, okay?), I figured it was time to try and clear out some fridge space of my autumn beers.

#832 was from the Short's Brewing Company.  The Autumn Ale is simply one of those beers that makes you say "Huh?". I don't mean that in a bad way at all, but I certainly think it is true. It pours an inviting amber color with a tan head.  On the nose, those bready tones are pleasantly mixed with the hops. That is when things start to get weird. The medium body seems to give way to a creamy body half way through.  The ever-so-slight carbonated bite gives way to the almost overpowering citrus tone (akin to green apples).  Buried in there somewhere are the hops and malts with a caramel-like sweetness, but the citrus never lets go.  The hops and malts are masked in the finish, too.  Hmmmm.  Apple beer?  

All that said, this is one of the those funked-out beers that you can't call "bad".  It's not.  In fact, it is far from it.  I would simply cut myself short and say that is....unusual.  Not great. Not bad. Yeah....unusual.

3 out of 5.

No comments: