Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Royalty

Last night was simply one of those evenings I needed to get out. With Lake Erie Metropark right up the street, it seemed like a good place to go. After saving a Painted Turtle from becoming a speedbump on West Jefferson, I made my way to the lakeshore.

Photos of the Caspian Tern doinking around nailing minnows just were not up to snuff. Lighting was a bit iffy. Photographing swallows over the flowerbed was just about impossible. Their size. Their speed. Forget it. I don't know how anybody does that.

Nevertheless, beautiful temps and nice light made for a awesome walk and a great evening. As I was returning to my car, I spied a Belted Kingfisher on a branch. That big, fat head with the massive beak on that proportionally tiny body make ID a cinch, even if  it was backlit.  No rattling call, either. Simple silence while it surveyed its kingdom.  Lighting was a big rough. Plus, trying to take advantage of the mild pinkish cast to the sky, I shot with my rig at a negative exposure compensation. That can provide some nice saturation options later. Here is the best shot I got, even if the noise in the sky is enough to make you puke.  On a positive note,  the bird was cooperative and sat there for at least 15 minutes. 


There it sat.  Male? Female (a Queenfisher?)?  I can't be sure.  I never saw the front so I didn't see whether or not it had a belly band.   

Royally cool? You bet.  
 

No comments: