Monday, January 5, 2009

#523, #528, and #529

So, the Holidays are behind us, but with all the weirdness associated with December and being out of town for a few days, my Holiday beers are still staring at me in the fridge. With that thought, tonight's blog is a bit of a catch-up.

First, I did not have all these beers tonight. If you are actually paying attention to the numbers (all six of you who read this blog), you will notice that the numbers don't jive. A simple explanation - #523 was before I went to Ontario, while #528 was last night and #529 was tonight's brew. With that, the gory details.....

#523 was a gift from my buddy Stylurus. As a native of Wisconsin, he often travels there for family. He brought back a bottle from the New Glarus Brewing Company. The Spotted Cow Ale was fair, I think. All in all, I had a hard time finding an aroma to grab on to. The body was a bit light while the finish was more or less absent. But, it was not a bad beer. I just couldn't find much where I could sink my taste buds. 3 out of 5. The Beeradvocate crew did not rate it much better.

#528 was the Porter from the Bell's Brewery. Fantastic. 4 out of 5 for sure (maybe even a 5 if you catch me in a good mood). The head was at 2" thick, creamy, and tan contrasting with a deep brown beer. All the roasted tones in taste and aroma were perfect (present but not overdone). Silky smooth body. Great lacing on the glass with a nutty finish. I will have it again, I'm sure.

#529? Old Fezziweg Ale is another outstanding beer from the guys at the Boston Beer Company. A super seasonal beer. A warm, red/brown body is pleasing to the eye, but the lack of a head is a downer (I may have goofed the pour). All my little quibbles go away once you smell it. Sugars and caramel. Mmmm. On the palate? Cinnamon with a touch of orange. There's a bit of a palate coating once it goes down the hatch,too. A very subtle malty finish lingers just a tad. 4 out of 5. Good stuff. The name, by the way, is a reference to a character in "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. You can read all about it here.

So there. I think I am caught up with beers consumed vs. blogged. However, I still have four in the fridge that I need to critique.

I have all week....

No comments: