Thursday, April 8, 2010


According to my sources, saliva, otherwise known as drool, contains water for the most part. Apparently, human drool in 98% water. Did you know that? The other 2% is really yummy stuff. You know, mucus (mmmm...), electrolytes, enzymes, and a weeeeee bit of epidermal growth factor.

Tonight, with my dinner, I had some drool. In fact, it was some pretty damned good drool. But it wasn't human drool. It came from a Moose. I swear.

It contained mostly water (as you would expect) but there were some ingredients not normally found in moose spit. Malts, hops, and yeast.

Moose Drool, from the Big Sky Brewing Company, is, simply put, extraordinary from top to bottom. It pours with a light tan head and dissipates in about 30 seconds. Held to the light, a beautiful but slight ruby cast cuts through the brown. Awesome. Slight roasted tones on the nose and palate. Smooth. Nuts on the finish. Incredible from start to end. A 5 out of 5 for sure. No doubt about it.

But don't take my word for it. As I wrote this, I read that Draft Magazine rated Moose Drool as the best brown ale in the United States.

I knew this was going to be some good spit. Waaaay back in 2003, I had vacationed in Montana. While I don't recall exactly where I had it, I had it. I remembered it being awesome and the name stuck with me. Interestingly enough, my beer notes don't show it, but I know I had it.

It was so good, I might just go have another. My mouth is watering just thinking about it....


Rachel said...

So, how do they collect the moose drool? Do they sedate the moose or does one guy just jump on the moose's back while someone else gets the collection?

Paul said...

I don't have a clue. I think this might be a brewer's secret......

I hope jumping on the back of the moose is NOT it. Especially during breeding season. That could get soooooo nasty.