Thursday, November 27, 2008

Just A Fun Day

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008

I found myself back at Estero again at sunrise. I was going to find that Parula or die trying. As I was heading back to the location I had heard it the day before, I noticed a lot of activity in a tree. While there were lots of fruiting trees in the area, this tree had no fruit. Yet, there was a lemon in it. But lemons don't fly from branch to branch. Hmmmmm. This lemon had wing bars and a dark head. Follow that lemon! Within moments, I was soaking in crippling views of life bird #625: Tropical Parula! It was only 7:10am. I had the whole day ahead of me!

I immediately shot over to Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge with the hopes of Hook-billed Kite. The 45-foot observation tower seemed like an ideal place. Red-tailed Hawk. Check. Mutiple Harris's Hawks. Check. Gray Hawk (again!) Check. Turkey Vultures galore, but no kites. During this time, a Harris's Hawk was perched hundreds of yards out. For whatever reason, it decided the snag 100 feet from the observation tower was a better perch. It flew over and parked there. While a dark bird on a light background is not ideal for my photographic skills, I think I managed. You decide.

By lunch time, I was starving and made my way to Jack in the Box. Why, oh why, don't we have them here?! From there, I shot down to Bentson Rio Grande State Park. Some casual walking turned up Altamira Oriole and a pair of Gray Hawks (again!). I also found the grounds at the Headquarters very pleasant. While not particularly big, the landscaping attracts butterflies the likes of which one will never in Michigan. I could walk there all day. How you could you not like a Zebra Heliconian?!

I made my way to Anzalduas County Park with the hopes of securing Hook-billed Kite. They were seen there, too, but not by me. For my one hour of birding before sunset, the best I could manage was a Vermillion Flycatcher. But, I am not complaining!

Dinner was at the El Dorado. It is literally right across the street from the Alamo Inn. You can't go wrong here.

No comments: