Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fun With Math

So last night, I opted to whip up a simple dinner. I had the ingredients (eventually) and I had the time, but I didn't do the math. Here goes....

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan. Add one cup of heavy cream. Simmer for a few minutes and then add 2/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Dump that over 1 pound of cooked fettuccine noodles (el dente is ideal). Voila! There you have it! Fettuccine Alfredo! Pretty damned easy to make, huh?

Now, you math majors, lets have some fun.

2/3 of a cup of Parmesan Cheese contains 32 teaspoons. 2 teaspoons of the cheese has 1 gram of fat. Do the math. 16 grams of fat in the cheese.

1/4 cup of stick butter is equal to 4 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon has 11 grams of fat. Do the math. 44 grams of fat.

What is 16 + 44?

60. 60 grams of fat. I could easily break this recipe into 4-6 servings. So let's continue with the math, class. 60 divided by 4? Basically, 15 grams of fat in one sitting.

Needless to say, I don't eat this meal very often. I had cooked it in the past, but it may be awhile before I cook it again.

But, overall, the meal was healthy. Peas and carrots were on the side! Hah!

No comments: